Sunday, October 21, 2012

I Hate Technology

Due to a glitch, I ended up losing two-hours worth of work today. It was a blog post about the e-publishing revolution, how it's lowered the barriers to entry for game creators, and the pros and cons of self-publishing. It was a work of beauty, because, you know, I wrote it. There is nothing worse than something like this happening to a writer, because he has to remember all those elegant turns of phrase and subtle, witty references, when all he really wants to do at that moment is howl at the technology gods. You suddenly go from a screen full of goodness back to a blank page, and it just takes too much effort to start again. It's like writing the same thing twice (actually, that's exactly what it is). You feel demoralized and drained. Tennyson didn't have to put up with this crap.

I want to punch my laptop repeatedly. I want to soak it's motherboard in bleach. I want to beat it like a misbehaving TV as if it were the 1950s.

Before you all rush to my aid suggesting I look for the save file or revert to an earlier draft or reach inside this machine and rip out its guts looking for my file, I've tried all of that. I'm composing on the blogger website, and searched through my files. It seems Google, in all it's wisdom, decided it couldn't save my precious words to its beloved servers. Clearly, Google has it in for me.

All this is a long-winded way of saying there's not going to be a blog today. Maybe tomorrow, after I've taken to my chaise lounge, put a hot towel over my eyes, and had a glass of absinth. That's what Tennyson would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment