Thursday, March 11, 2010

Lack of Progress Report

I see by the old date stamp on the blog post that I haven't written anything about Studio Manta since January 8th. That's because I haven't done anything with Studio Manta since January 8th.

It's not that I've lost interest in the endeavor. It's just that I've run into a little snag. Since I haven't done any work in two months, I have no idea where I stand on the project. This would require me to read everything I've written so far, including my hand-written notes. This isn't really a good excuse, since one would think I would want to read my own writing.

Like all writers, I think, I'm a raging egomaniac. I like to read over my work, delighting in a turn of phrase or marvelling at my intellect. I also take a critical eye to my work, finding flaws that I should have caught, or thinking of better ways to express my thoughts than I had at the time of writing. I know some writers who never read their own material, believing it to be dead to them once its been written, or thinking it perfect as is. That's not me.

I have, however, run into a practical problem. I have a tiny little netbook upon which I compose. The screen is small, which is why I bought it -- for its portability. However, it's a bitch to read documents on. Which means I've got to find a printer and print out what I've got so far. This has proven to be a bit problematic.

Yet I need to read what I've got, in order to remember where I was, and figure out what needs to be done. I take that I'm becomming frustrated by my lack of progress as a good sign. It means I want to get back to work.

I haven't dropped the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment